Sunday, September 7, 2008

Now it's personal

Well, as we were waiting on pins and needles for Greg to arrive back home from his hunting trip, I finally decided that the truth must be told. I have been sitting on these pictures for a few days now and I just must share them. It's outrageous, I tell you! But we'll get to that soon enough. For now, the build-up.....

Remember the bear who has been tormenting our bear-proof trash can? Well the documented case was not an isolated incident, my friends. He has been here several nights in a row, but suspiciously did not maul the can one day this week. Instead, I later learned that he had broken into our neighbors' garage and proceeded to eat all their trash plus some pantry items that were shelved just outside their adjoining kitchen door.... which was not only not locked, but also ajar during the entire time this cocky bruin was munching the treats he'd uncovered.

Yeah. This was at about 2:30am, and I heard nothing. We must've been snoring to beat the band here in our house while just 40 feet away a big bear sat stuffing himself.

Uh-huh. So this is where it gets personal.... I've really been abused by this bear. Here I am, alone with my two small daughters and this bear is just lurking about, wreaking havoc with my psyche, right? I mean, yes, sure, I know where the 44 is and the ammo as well, but that's not the point. We're just minding our own beeswax and he's strutting around as if he owns the place. I couldn't take it and I turned him into the Alaska Dept of Fish & Game. They unfortunately have a considerable backlog of problem bears and said they would get to our guy when they can. They have a lot of really aggressive bears this year that need to be euthanized.

Anyway, after this blatant break-in and vandalism to our neighbors, I was still a bit upset. I mean, this bruin seems to be toying with me. The next morning, as I was perusing our back lawn, what do I see? Look closely, just about 12 feet from my bedroom window...

Yes, it's a pile. Of. Bear. Scat. Well the gloves are off! This means war, Buddy Boy!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure it wasn't the Pope?

    Or... are you not near "the woods?"

    Brian (remember me?) McCartney

    (bjmccartney@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete