Tuesday, January 18, 2011

alrightythen

Thanks to those of you who commented with your reading preferences. Let's get to it, shall we?

All have decreed and agreed; thus the topic for this post is "everything". Unfortunately, I'm still missing that little cable that plugs from the camera to the computer so I can get the current pictures off and show you guys what we are up to. Bummer.

Weather or not
But here are a few shots of the type of brilliantly sunny and crisp winter days we have been enjoying lately...

I don't think the date on this one is right. This was in Valdez, probably the winter of 2006-2007, taken from the parking lot of the trail that went out toward Shoop Bay, right over the top of the garbage dumpster. Oops, did I just ruin it for you?

This one is Mt McGinnins, I think, from Auke Lake right around Christmas time of 2003. Greg was the shutterbug on this one. This is what we see every Tuesday and Thursday on the way to/from preschool. I just love how the trees look so frosty and delicate.

And this is the Mendenhall Glacier taken from across Gastineau Channel (part of the Pacific Ocean) from the boat launch on North Douglas Island. Circa December, 2005. Ish.
That concludes the picture portion of this post.

Plastic is killing me
The Lockwood Anti-Plastic Brigade doesn't seem to be making any headway. Wait, that abbreviates into Lockwood APB... not quite the mood I was hoping to set, although I'll tell you what, there just might be an APB out on me if I can't find some meat packaged in something other than plastic. And I mean TODAY. Right now! We are a very carnivorous bunch, but we want to spare the planet from run-off and plastics-borne pollution through leaching. How the heck am I supposed to do that when most meats are packaged in not one but TWO layers of plastic wrap around not only the aforementioned protein product, but also a handy STYROFOAM tray? Ugh!
Seriously, this stuff is amazing!




Otherwise, plastic consumption is way down around here. And that is a very good thing. Remember my teaser a few weeks ago about the best product ever? Well, here it is: BAKING SODA!

Now, if you happen to be in your twilight years, or are at least a marginal housekeeper unlike yours truly, you likely already know this little treasure well. I come from neither a generation or family who passed this simply miraculous catch-all down, nor have I ever been really interested in alternative (or any but easy, quick and cheap) cleansing methods, but sodium bicarbonate is my new best friend. Here are just a few of the things we now use it for (but I find new uses every day!):
  • deodorant! Absolutely, hands-down, the BEST for this purpose. Even if I wasn't worried about the dangerous toxins in deodorant itself or in finding "dodes" in a non-plastic container, I would still never stop using this odor- fighting wonderment. This might be too much information: My lumberjack of a husband now uses it exclusively. Since we've now detoxed completely from that chemically poison the grocery sells, we can sometimes go days with only one application of baking soda. Yes, even the lumberjack, the guy who works out every morning and then rides his bike to work four miles each way... last week he mentioned that he keeps forgetting to  put his "pit powder" on. Still not stinky. :)
  • toothpaste!
  • hand cleanser!
  • exfoliator!
  • grout scrubber!
  • laundry stain pretreater! (need to use a brush and scrub a little)
  • foot fungus killer!
  • body powder!
  • shampoo alternative!
  • I'm thinking the list is endless.... if anyone thinks of something else, let me know!
Speaking of APBs (Yes we were - earlier. Scroll back if you need to...)
Mommy got what you'd call a "moving violation citation" a few days before Christmas. Happy Holidays from the Juneau Police Department, huh? Anyway, it's complete bunk and now I've got myself a court date to prove it's bunk. Wish me luck on Jan 26th, wouldja? I'm prepping for my defense these days and hoping to avoid not only the $65 fine, but also the 4 points on my license, possibly making our insurance go up. Plus, well... it's just the principle of the whole thing, y'know? I shouldn't be penalized for something I just flat out didn't do, right?

Suffice it to say, I can't go in to detail here, but it was "the Perfect Storm" of conditions that day. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll let you know if the baking soda holds up in court.

I've got to close for now, but I promise to be back soon to tell you the tales of
If you wanna, you could let me know what would be your top choice and I'll jump to that one first. See you next time!
  1. first dance lessons for both girls,
  2. soccer for seniors,
  3. Atkins for me,
  4. our house got sold, we think,
  5. spring break in the Northwest,
  6. thoughts of escape,
  7. homeschool shenanigans,
  8. and much more...

4 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of baking soda! I buy the bulk pack at the wholesale club. I keep some in a container in the shower and in the bathrooms. I have a couple of things to add to your wonderful list.
    *keep a shaker container (like you'd use for powdered sugar) with it near the sink. When you get real greasy hands, like when working with hamburger meat, soap up your hands and then sprinkle some onto your soapy hands. It helps cut the grease.
    *when shampooing your hair with regular shampoo, using this occasionally will remove build up like hair spray and other products.
    *when cleaning your tub (or just about any surface) it works nicely, and the kids can do this job because they won't breathe the stuff they'd get with comet.
    I've also used it for the reasons stated. I particularly like it as a facial exfoliant, mixed with soap.
    I've never tried it for deodorant, will have to look into it.
    Great post and great pic's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I of course want to hear about everything...but especially spring break in the Northwest! Are you still able to come our way??
    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Thoughts of escape" sounds intriguing. Glad to see...woops....hear you are all doing so well. Now send out an ABP for the camera cord...we need pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I would like to hear about "Our house got sold, we think". That sounds like a real nail biter.
    Baking soda rocks! My 89 year old grandma passed on the wonders of baking soda which she calls "so-D". She always brushes her teeth with baking soda and a little salt. It whitens better than any whitening toothpaste on the market! I had never heard the deod use. I will have to try it. I wonder if it would prevent yellow pit stains on white shirts. Hmmmm...it is worth a try.

    ReplyDelete