Saturday, February 2, 2013

yeahhhhh, kick it!

I played soccer last night for the first time since before my diagnosis in September. Ever since, I've felt a blog post a-comin' on.

It. Was. Awesome! So much fun. So much laughter and just flat-out joy!

Several times through the evening, I just looked up to the rafters of the Dimond Park Fieldhouse and gave thanks for every moment, every play, every time I actually touched the ball in the way my brain wanted to... which wasn't quite as often as I'd have liked, but much more often that I'd dared to hope.

Comments overheard during the match included: "Man, you look pretty good for a cancer patient!" " Wow, I can actually see the ball at my feet now! (that was from me)" "Are you sure you should be doing this?" "How are you feeling?" " Do you need a break?" "Gasp, wheez, snort, blah, ugh, oof! (also from me)" " I can't believe you're playing!" and many, many "I'm so glad to see you out here!"

A few questions for my fellow follically-challenged mates: How do you keep the sweat from pouring in to your eyes with no hair? Will it alarm anyone if I come to the next game looking channeling 70's-era McEnroe? Without the 'fro, of course.


Thanks to all my soccer buddies who made that a magical and memorable evening for me. And no, I am not even sore today! 

 At this point I'll close with the warning that "I'll be back!"

2 comments:

  1. Sweet....you are the bomb! I have a t-shirt idea for you.....You, fuzzy head and all your soccer glory kickin' a soccer ball with the line..."Jenni Lockwood, kickin cancer in the ball(s) since 2012!" printed on the back. You are in our thoughts and prayers and you inspire and motivate!
    The Adams Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!!! SOOOO glad you're feeling better :)

    With lotsa love,
    Auntie Chris

    ReplyDelete