Thursday, November 1, 2012

Let's Talk Climate Control


Okay, so I am now essentially bald. My hair started shedding to a rather annoying degree, so it had to come off.  The girls had a cutting and styling session, and then Greg buzzed it to about ½ inch.  I took it down even shorter for church on Sunday, but it’s still coming out. Argh! There’s hair everywhere. In my eyes, nose, and mouth, in my hats, on the pillow. I thought it was a good idea to cut it off, but now I’m not so sure. Two reasons:  1. Instead of long, soft hair all over, it’s now short, bristly, sharp hair and it’s not soft or smooth, but very ouchy. No likey. 2. I can’t figure out if I’m hot or cold. Half the time I’m freezing and half the time I’m sweaty.

Hair is the perfect insulator and now I don’t have that. I have many hats but they are all too warm, too scratchy, too stiff, too wrong. What I thought I needed and wanted was a couple of those soft cottony baby hats, like what they put on newborns in the nursery, but Jenni-sized. I thought that would be perfect, but it turns out the bristly-ness of my head makes wearing those actually painful. I think I’m going to have to have Greg shave it completely down to baby-bottom smooth and then keep it that way. Unfortunately, some of my chemo-resistant hair is still growing so I’ll have to actually “do” my hair, something I haven’t done in years.

Sorry about the whining. Let’s see…. Oh yes, on the plus side, I’ve been scheming about what will be a very lucrative “Waiter-there’s-a-hair-in-my-soup” racket.

And NO, there will not be pictures. I’m afraid one of you would mistake me for The Biggest Loser version of G.I. Jane. You stil want to see? Okay, picture this:  if I put my glasses on, I’d look like “before” pictures of Drew Carey. How’s that for a visual? You’re very welcome.

ACK- I forgot, I do have some FANTASTIC news! I talked to my Swedish surgeon's office today and a bilateral mastectomy is ALWAYS covered by insurance. It's apparently in their best intere$t$ to have them both come off since the risk increases exponentially that cancer would occur in the other side eventually. Woo Hoo! I had concerns that I'd be cyclop-tic after all this.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for following my blog.

    I've just been reading through your last few posts. What an inspiring lady you are! Wow! You have an such a positive outlook. Are you homeschooling as well? Supermum indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting updates. We continue to pray for you.

    Love, Uncle Doyle & Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are our own biggest critics. I bet you are still very beautiful! Besides, Drew Carey is a handsome man. ;) I know God has you covered but I am going to continue to remind him to watch over you for all of us who need you in our world. Jeana

    ReplyDelete