Wednesday, December 19, 2012

unwitty

I've been putting off posting because I am just not in the mood for witty reparte' these days.

But then I thought there may be a few people who were interested to know if I was still alive or not.

So.

Yes, I am alive. The surgery was a snap! For me. Less so for my mom and Greg and Greg's mom. It might have been a snap for the girls too. They stayed at the hotel with Greg's mom and had a ball. Thanks, LML!

The docs are happy that I opted for the bilateral instead of just the right side because they needed to yank out 22 or so lymph nodes on the left side as well. The pathology showed that maybe I have two different types of cancer, one in the breast tissue and a separate one in the lymph nodes. There doesn't seem to be any anxiety about that from the docs, but we'll see once we start the new chemo how everything reacts.

Speaking of which, we got a revised schedule of our near future from the oncologist. After I recover from this surgery (they're giving me about three weeks for that) we will do 12 weeks of chemo followed by six weeks of radiation, followed by at least another year of more chemo, maybe two, maybe five, maybe for the rest of my life. Depends on how my body and/or the cancer reacts to it.

And speaking of the recovery, it's not so snappy. It's painful and awkward and time-consuming and hard. And I seem to be a lazy and crabby patient. Not a productive combo, really. But it does leave lots of room for improvement. :)

We were blessed to get over Snoqualmie Pass thrice on this trip already, once just hours before they closed it due to "Winter Storm Drako", a relatively wimpy system (by Alaska standards, anyway) that rained and blew hard on some parts of Seattle. There were also quite a few accidents on the pass on the way back to Yakima. One in particular had me praying hard and immediately for all involved. Very sad and scary to see. We are thrilled to report we had no problems, didn't even need the chains.

The entire household, save myself, is out shopping today. This may be all the evidence needed to prove my "crabby patient" allegation. All you naysayers, take note.

We are anticipating a very very Merry and blessed Christmas and wish the same for all who read this.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, absolutely want to hear you are alive! I'm sorry for the pain, but glad you are surrounded by loved ones.

    Thinking of you.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete