Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Need More Time?

My dad died eleven years ago today. He was 55 years old.

I turned 40 in February of this year. On June 4, I got some lab results that were not good. The first words my doctor said when she called with my blood test results were, "What pharmacy do you want me to send this to?" I looked at my genetic makeup, my poor test numbers, and my two lovely daughters and thought, "Fifteen more years is not enough time with these girls."

I have lost 21.5 pounds since then. From June 4 to July 13, my overall cholesterol went from 176 to 143, and I lost 18 pounds in those five weeks. I have cut out butter, bacon, virtually all cholesterol, SUGAR, and most carbs. The doctor's new decision after this turn of events was, "No meds needed at this time."

My weight has been pretty static since the end of July. I'm down only about three pounds since Aug 1, but I am determined to lose more and get even healthier.

One thing I've figured out from this situation: losing weight is actually easy. Everyone knows how to do it: "Eat Less; Move More." The major sticking point is motivation. Mine was pretty obvious and immediate. Yours may be less tangible and more elusive. Regardless, you are the only one who knows what it is. Nothing that anyone can say to you will MAKE you lose weight.

But if you do, you can get more time too. How would you spend it?

5 comments:

  1. Your blog post is sobering and yes, I've experienced something like that. Thanks for the reminder.
    And "yes" I've been peeping through your windows for material!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey jenny....just checking in on your beautiful family & sorry to hear about the news - but look like you have a good motivator! and congrats on all the hard work paying off! Thinking of you, Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny. I want to cut out some things but always convince myself to do it tomorrow. I know I feel better with less sugar on board...but I hate to not have my 1/2 cup of cream with 1 tablespoon of sugar..and oh yeah..some coffee...just for flavor. Stay healthy and your in the best place inthe world for hiking and walking.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butter, bacon, sugar and carbs? Those are the main food groups aren't they? You are clearly committed and are definitely doing it for a good cause. As we grow older, we certainly see things much more clearly and it's so good of you to actually do something about it. For me recently, I'm reducing my caffeine and sugar intake by cutting out the soda and staying active playing a mad amount of tennis...which I think I feel about the way you feel about soccer...I'm in love!!! Stay active and healthy my friend. We still have to write our book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on your blog tonight and it brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe it's been that long since Uncle Johnny passed and it shocks me to think he was only 55. It's good motivation as well. Congratulations on your hard work! It isn't easy. Hang in there and good luck.

    ReplyDelete